Sunday, October 18, 2009

10/14/09 - Turkey Chili

Take two on the slow cooker! This week I decided to try a new plan where I used my slow cooker to prep a meal ahead of time so I could just relax after work. I first tried this on Monday, but that didn't really work out.. There was an incident when ingredients needed to be added mid -day an a whole container of rice ended up being added to the pot! But as always try again. I decided to do something simpler which didn't require any additional ingredients just start it up before work and eat when you arrive home. What can be easier than that!

This chili is made with ground turkey but if you want to do ground beef or vegetarian this can easily be adapted. A friend recently turned me on to TVP (textured vegetable protein) and I hear that its great in chili but I am going to save that for a time when I am home to supervise (though I did buy some the other day so I am preparing!)

Turkey Chili
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 red bell pepper- diced
1/2 green bell pepper- diced
1 onion- diced
1 habenero - seeded and minced
4 tomatoes - diced (you can skin these if you are ambitious or use a can if you aren't!)
1 can pinto beans - drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans - drained and rinsed
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 tsp shirachi sauce

4 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp fresh cilantro - diced


1) Place meat in crock pot first then add remaining ingredients - cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8-10 hrs
2) Top with sour cream and cilantro