Monday, October 26, 2009

10/19/09 - Steak w Sweet Potato Gnocchi in Sage Sherry Sauce

Because of some advance planning the other day when I was prepping some other foods I was able to have a nice homemade meal tonight! Fresh pasta freezes wonderfully and lets you add a special touch to any pasta dinner. These are made just like normal gnocchi, however the taste of a sweet potato gnocchi is slightly different which is best for wine, herb and cream sauces... not to mention brown butter.

Approx 6 med sweet potato (from the Farmer's Market) made 2 cookie sheets full which was about 2 quart size bags. I finally got my potato ricer so the texture of this dough was much finer than last time and I needed a bit more flour. I used the same recipe idea as here.

The sauce was a little lighter than a standard brown butter as I tried to cut out much of the butter (from 1 stick down to 1-2 tbsp) and used some other flavors to give this a wonderful taste with out being so hard on the waist line!

Sage Sherry Sauce
1-2 pats of butter
1 tbsp wondra flour (or all-purpose)
1/4 c chicken stock
1/4 c golden sherry
2 tbsp fresh sage - diced
1 tbsp fresh thyme

1) In a small sauce pan, melt butter with herbs
2) Add flour to make a roux
3) Slowly add stock and stir to thicken
4) Add sherry and let sauce come to a boil

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YUM! I so want to try the sweet potato gnocchi....but gnocchi is one of those things that I am nervous about attempting.

Carla said...

You are always welcome up for a lesson... the main things to remember are:
-all lumps in potatoes need to be gone (which is why I use a ricer)
-keep the mixture dry as possible (roasting is better than boiling....but slower)
-and use least amount of flour possible to get a light gnocchi

Post a Comment