Tuesday, October 27, 2009

10/25/09 - Steak w Acorn Squash and Grilled Asparagus

Winter Squash is one of my favorites since you can make it with a touch of sweetness (maple syrup is my favorite way) to really bring out the brightest flavor. Tonight I paired it with a grilled asparagus and probably the best 2 fillet mignon from our entire cut (which is starting to dwindle! time to start looking for that sale again)

This was so easy to make though the squash does need about 35- 45 min in the oven at 350 F. I cut it in half, scooped the seeds and coated it in oil then just stuck it in. Check it after about 30 min to see if it is soft enough. As I mentioned you can also add a little butter, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice while cooking and then serve with some maple syrup to make this a delicious little treat but for tonight I was trying to keep this simple and light.
The asparagus had about 1" cut off each stem and then was tossed in olive oil and seasoning salt was sprinkled all over them. They were grilled (on the famous grill pan) for about 10 min on med and then sauteed on high with an extra tbsp of oil in a hot pan while the steaks cooked. They had some beautiful "grill" marks which reminded me of summer again.