Sunday, October 4, 2009

10/4/09 - Shrimp and Chicken Fajitas

Today started with some big plans -first some exercise with a long walk then a trip to home depot, food shopping, etc.... then all of a sudden it was 5 pm and it was getting darker and I was still in my pajamas. So another night of plan B's. Jeremy made a quick run to grab some tortilla wraps and salsa while I marinaded and prepped the rest. With fajitas it sometimes seems that the sides really take the stage from spicy guac and refreshing sour cream so I tried to keep the base of this simple. I did a quick marinade and got the meats back into the fridge for a soak while I got my sides prepared. The rest of this meal was a fast prep - peppers and onions thinly sliced then sauteed and a black beans, tomato and red onion side.


Marinade
1 shallot
1/4 bell pepper - finely diced
1/4 hot pepper - finely diced
4 tbsp cilantro - diced
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp sriracha sauce

Pepper mix
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 small yellow onion
1 tbsp oil

1) Slice peppers and onions thin
2) Heat oil in pan and add peppers and onions - stirring periodically to prevent burning

Black Bean "salsa"
So this is kinda a lame "salsa" (not to mention it was hot) but it was easy, fast and got the flavors I wanted into the dish....
1 can black beans - drained & rinsed
1/2 red onions - finely diced
2 tomatoes - seeded and finely diced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin


1) Add all ingredients to hot pan and mix together